- Passionate software professional with nearly twenty years of industry experience, and further personal experience, in all aspects of software and web development.
- Technical leader of small to medium teams with influence in all aspects of engineering and business.
- Mentor and community-minded contributor of knowledge and experience.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, able to act in client-facing roles, provide training and speak publicly on technical matters.
- Full software development life cycle experience, from analysis and estimation, through development and testing, to operation, support and monitoring.
- Familiar with developing for cloud, serverless, server-based, browser-based, terminal and desktop environments.
- Experience in a wide range of business domains.
- Strongly interested in Open Source Software; active in open source projects including Serverless framework.
- Self-motivated and driven to achieve the best possible outcome in any project.
- Adaptable and valuable team member in a large number of scenarios.
- Runtimes: NodeJS, .Net, Java JRE, LAMP, Browser/DOM
- Cloud services: Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure
- Networking: TCP/IP, HTTP, REST, GraphQL, SSL/TLS, DNS, FTP, email
- Databases: DynamoDB, MySQL, Aurora, MongoDB, SQL Server, Postgres
- Operating systems: Linux (Ubuntu, Debian), Microsoft Windows
- Methodologies: Agile, LEAN, RAD, waterfall, TDD, BDD
- Version control: git, svn
- DevOps: CI/CD, infrastructure-as-code
- Solutions: APIs, SaaS, web applications, websites, SPAs, mobile apps, web services, event-driven systems, libraries
- Roles: hands-on technical work, architecture, team leadership, business development, mentoring
- Business domains: military, retail, advertising, financial, scientific, environmental, mining
- Leadership: mentoring, presenting, meetup organisation, team management, recruitment
Senior Consultant @ Readify
Jan 2018 — present
At Readify, I lead teams to solve problems and deliver value to clients across a range of business domains, technologies and skill sets. The company has a strong history with Microsoft technology, and I was recruited in order to build an AWS capability within the Perth team to diversify their offering. I have been instrumental in this initiative through organising and facilitating group PD and training, and promoting AWS training and certification within the team.
Technical Lead @ Gaia Resources
Dec 2013 — Jan 2018
Gaia Resources is a consultancy specialising in biological and environmental science applications. I worked solo and leading teams to deliver a large range of projects, including collection management software, data analysis tools, and custom web applications for clients in this and related fields. I also converted the company from running its own servers to using cloud services almost exclusively, as well as introducing Scrum as a company standard, and initiating the creation of an -as-a-Service offering for collection management.
Other Previous Roles
|Senior Software / Systems / Support Engineer||ADI Limited / Thales Australia||Apr 2004||Dec 2006||Java · Struts · JSP · Hibernate ORM · Oracle · Web UI · svn|
Please see LinkedIn for detailed descriptions of roles.